External Wall Insulation Grant

*For Home Owners & Tenants

External Wall Insulation Grant

One of the most significant issues for homeowners worldwide is the cost and efficiency of heating their homes. In fact, in the UK, approximately 35% of heat loss occurs through external walls, which means that some homes experience significant energy inefficiencies and rising heating costs. Solid walls, in particular, have a notorious reputation among energy experts due to their inability to retain heat.

However, the good news is that the UK government recognises this problem and is offering external wall insulation grants, which are specifically designed for those who have solid brick or solid stone walls. These grants will help eligible homeowners access solutions to improve the energy efficiency of their homes and cut down on costs. Therefore, if you own a home with solid walls, you are eligible to take advantage of this valuable opportunity.

How do I Qualify for a Solid Wall Insulation Grant

You must have solid or brick walls to qualify for a solid wall insulation grant. You also must receive one of the following qualifying benefits or qualify under ECO Flex rules:

1. Pension Credit- Saving Credit
2. Pension Credit- Guarantee Credit
3. Child Tax Credit
4. Income Support
5. Income-Based Job Seeker’s Allowance
6. Income-Related Employment & Support Allowance
7. Working Tax Credit
8. Housing Benefit
9. Child Benefit
10. Income Support

If you receive one of the qualifying benefits mentioned above, you qualify for the solid wall insulation grant. You can avail of this by applying for it under the Eco4 funding scheme.

Grants for External Wall Insulation under Eco4 Funding Scheme

The solid external walls can either be insulated on the outside (exterior wall) or from the inside (interior wall). This can be difficult and costly compared to insulating a cavity wall. Solid wall insulation grants are available under the Eco4 funding scheme to support low-income households in getting effective home insulation.

The grants are offered through the Energy Company Obligation Scheme (ECO). The two major types of grants include

  • HHRCO- Available if you are on a particular benefit
  • Flexible Eligibility (HRRCO Flex) – available if you live in social housing that isn’t energy efficient or meets local council criteria

The grant will cover most of your cost if you receive any specific state benefit.